- Oh , what a detestable crew they are , these mercenary speculators !
- " the count is a speculator , who will certainly ruin himself in experiments
- Said danglars , " it would not be a bad speculation , i fancy , and you know i am a speculator .
腾格拉尔说， “这桩投机生意看来倒不坏，而您也知道我是个投机家。 ”
- No , you have not ; - well , you are right , for if you indulged in such reflections , you would never risk your principal , which is to the speculator what the skin is to civilized man
- For a month past that thief steiner had been scarcely able to pay up his thousand francs on the occasions when she threatened to kick him out of doors in case he failed to bring them
- " do not give yourselves the trouble , excellency , " returned signor pastrini , with the smile peculiar to the italian speculator when he confesses defeat ; " i will do all i can , and i hope you will be satisfied .
“阁下不必亲自劳驾！ ”派里尼老板带着一个意大利投机家自认失败的那种微笑回答说， “我尽力去办就是了，我希望能使您满意。 ”
- It was five o clock , and along the silent pavements in the quiet , aristocratic shelter of the tall white houses were drawn up the broughams of stock - exchange people and merchants , while men walked hastily about , looking up at the windows , where women in dressing jackets seemed to be awaiting them
- Old first - nighters , hat on head , seemed familiar and quite at ease and kept exchanging salutations . all paris was there , the paris of literature , of finance and of pleasure . there were many journalists , several authors , a number of stock - exchange people and more courtesans than honest women