- They carry bananas from the plantations to ports .
- The clerk said with his best southern planter's accent .
- The plantation owner was making a good profit on a small investment .
- He did know the region by now as well as he did the plantation itself .
- Some of these men now are drilling on the coffee plantation in guatemala .
- Planters in the south bought land from small farmers who moved farther west .
- To all appearances he was just the commonplace planter who had fallen upon evil days .
- But the small farmers were soon forced out and plantations reformed with a system of tenant labor .
- When the black topsoil was all washed away, farmers moved westward and started new plantations .
- Plantations in maryland, virginia and the carolinas grow staple crops of tobacco, rice and indigo .