- A deep hush pervaded the abbey .
- The abbey was amply provisioned .
- I passed several hours in rambling about westminster abbey .
- The abbey is now a ruin .
- Every abbey and great man's house had its fish pond .
- a monastery ruled by an abbot
- a convent ruled by an abbess
- a church associated with a monastery or convent
An abbey (from Latin abbatia, derived from Latin language abbatia, from Latin abbās,Kline, Ernest, Dr., A comprehensive etymological dictionary of the English language, vol I, A-K, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1969, p.