- Statics, the physicist knows, is only an abstraction from dynamics .
- A community-type, as a class-concept, is inescapably an abstraction .
- Mendelian gene is not a real physical entity but an abstraction or symbol .
- The latter arises from abstraction of the somewhat lesser activated c-h bond in the dioxolane .
- He has shown neither patience nor impatience, nor attention nor abstraction .
- a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples
- the act of withdrawing or removing something
- an abstract painting
- preoccupation with something to the exclusion of all else
- the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances
- a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance; "he loved her only in the abstract--not in person"
Abstraction is a process by which concepts are derived from the usage and classification of literal ("real" or "concrete") concepts, first principles, or other methods. "An abstraction" is the product of this process?? a concept that acts as a super-categorical noun for all subordinate concepts, and connects any related concepts as a group, field, or category.