- Alderman sat in municipal councils .
- After a full hearing, the alderman gave it as his opinion .
- Aldermen sweater told grinder that starvation was no excuse for dishonesty .
- Mr. didlum rose with the intention of posing a resolution to that effect when he was interrupted by alderman grinder .
- a member of a municipal legislative body (as a city council); "aldermen usually represent city wards"
An alderman is a member of a municipal assembly or council in many jurisdictions founded upon English law. The term may be titular, denoting a high-ranking member of a borough or county council, a council member chosen by the elected members themselves rather than by popular vote, or a council member elected by voters.