- He gathered all his strength and swung the axe .
- He struck off the rotten branches with an axe .
- Clang , clang goes the woodman 's axe .
- The axe sliced through the wood .
- The edge of this axe has turned .
- an edge tool with a heavy bladed head mounted across a handle
The axe (or ax) is an implement that has been used for millennia to shape, split and cut wood; to harvest timber; as a weapon; and as a ceremonial or heraldic symbol. The axe has many forms and specialized uses but generally consists of an axe head with a handle, or helve.