- Cysts are the result of faulty embryogenesis .
- An amoeba forms a cyst when conditions are unfavourable .
- In older infants and children infection in the cyst is common .
- Parasitic and nonparasitic cysts rarely occur in the spleen .
- Cysts should be excised and sterilized to avoid ingestion by the definitive host .
- a small anatomically normal sac or bladderlike structure (especially one containing fluid)
- a closed sac that develops abnormally in some body structure
A cyst is a closed sac, having a distinct membrane and division compared to the nearby tissue. It may contain air, fluids, or semi-solid material.