- He leaves a widow and two children .
- I should assist his widow and daughters .
- All her neighbors supposed her to be a widow .
- The colonel's widow stayed here .
- The trees are widowed of their fruits .
- a woman whose husband is dead especially one who has not remarried
- cause to be without a spouse; "The war widowed many women in the former Yugoslavia"
A widow is a woman whose spouse has died, while a widower is a man whose spouse has died. The state of having lost one's spouse to death is termed widowhood or occasionally viduity.