Common-sense says, we lose our fortune, are sorry and weep . 常识说:我们破产了,就愁苦啼哭。
The plot has fallen through . 阴谋破产了。
The business went bust . 这家商店破产了。
We have lost our fortune . 我们破产了。
The company went bust . 该公司破产了。
There is no point in keeping up appearances when everyone knows we are nearly bankrupt . 人家都知道我们快破产了,何必还打肿脸充胖子。
If he hadn't run out of whitewash, he would have bankrupted every boy in the village . 要不是他的灰浆用完了,恐怕全村每个孩子都要让他弄得破产了。
There used to be a rubber estate there, but the company went broke and it was abandoned . 过去那边有一个橡胶园,但是那家公司破产了,橡胶园也丢荒了。
I refrained from asking how he could travel first class on the france when he was dead broke . 我按捺着自己没有问他为什么彻底破产了,还要坐“法兰西号”的一等舱去旅行。
"a bankrupt america," president eisenhower once observed, "is more the soviet goal than an america conquered on the field of battle. " 艾森豪威尔总统曾经说过,“苏联更希望的是一个破产了的美国,而不是一个在战争上被打败了的美国。”