音标：[ 'gæləuz ] 发音:
- On the top of the gallows is fixed the knife .
- It is not much worse than the gallows .
- That very day a gallows was built outside the town .
- Now i was to expiate all my offences at the gallows .
- The gallows groans for you .
- He'll come to the gallows .
- You'd better watch your step, young man, or you'll end up on the gallows .
- It happened that at the top of a hill a gallows had been set up at a cross-roads long ago .
- Here's johnny gloke, the great gaintkiller, come with a gallows to hang us all !
- There was a gust of wind over the hilltop, and the old gallows fell down right on the horse's neck .
- an instrument of execution consisting of a wooden frame from which a condemned person is executed by hanging
A gallows (or scaffold) is a frame, typically wooden, used for execution by hanging, or by means to torture before execution, as was used when being hanged, drawn and quartered. The gallows took its form from the Roman Furca when Constantine the Great abolished crucifixion.