- Coal is much calorific than green wood .
- It 's difficult to ascertain the coal deposits ...
- They have put up the price of coal again .
- We ran out of coal , and had to burn wood .
- I hate to see someone raked over the coals .
- a hot fragment of wood or coal that is left from a fire and is glowing or smoldering
- fossil fuel consisting of carbonized vegetable matter deposited in the Carboniferous period
- take in coal; "The big ship coaled"
- supply with coal
- burn to charcoal; "Without a drenching rain, the forest fire will char everything"
Coal (from the Old English term col, which has meant "mineral of fossilized carbon" since the 13th century) is a combustible black or brownish-black sedimentary rock usually occurring in rock strata in layers or veins called coal beds or coal seams. The harder forms, such as anthracite coal, can be regarded as metamorphic rock because of later exposure to elevated temperature and pressure.